RE: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 07:39:29 -0700

> To get the old behavior back in your case it will be best to
> write your own `split-window-preferred-function' just as we're
> currently trying to do for `dired-pop-to-buffer'.  This will
> let you specify explicitly which window `display-buffer' should
> try to split and whether it should
> split it vertically or horizontally.

It's a joke, right?  Emacs adding DWIM now means that if you want the simple,
straightforward behavior of old you need to write it yourself?

I'd sooner copy the Emacs 22 `display-buffer' code and just use that, except
that it's in C. ;-)

You are not making it easier for users (which includes Emacs-Lisp users)...