Re: eterm-color not in ncurses/terminfo (and name clash with eterm.org)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: eterm-color not in ncurses/terminfo (and name clash with eterm.org)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

  > The terminal emulator of Emacs 22.3, and current CVS version too,
  > identifies itself as "eterm-color". However, the terminfo database
  > (as included with ncurses-5.7) doesn't know about it. It has only the
  > following entry:
  >
  > ,----
  > | # The codes supported by the term.el terminal emulation in GNU Emacs 19.30
  > | eterm|gnu emacs term.el terminal emulation,
  > `----
  >
  > Is there any reason why terminfo shouldn't know about eterm-color?
  > Otherwise, I could ask the ncurses maintainers to include the entry.

When term.el starts, it sets up both TERMCAP and TERMINFO, so
applications should work just fine without any support in the standard
terminfo distribution.

More, such support is probably not such a great idea.
One instance when this cause problems: the terminfo entry used to be
called "eterm", it was changed to "eterm-color" because term.el
implemented color support (long time ago), but the eterm entry was not
updated to reflect that (not sure what the details were, it was
discussed here or on the bugs list).

So when term.el is improved to add more features, we'd probably
encounter similar problems in the future.