Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:40:13 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> Now I see one way to fix this problem.  What if we would define
> a parallel branch in a keymap where every defined key sequence
> has a copy translated according to a conversion table.
>
> So, for example, a define-key call:
>
> (define-key global-map [(control ?x) ?b] 'switch-to-buffer)
>
> would also define [(control ?ч) ?и] with the same binding
> in the same keymap as if it were defined explicitly with:
>
> (define-key global-map [(control ?ч) ?и] 'switch-to-buffer)

I think in general, a "reactive" solution, like function-key-map, or the
special handling of shifted keys (mapping them to unshifted variants if
not bound) would be much more robust than a method like the above
(the problem being that it essentially stores redundant state that can
get out of sync).

-Miles

--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'