Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout

From: Andrey Paramonov
Subject: Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:29:14 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> > I think in general, a "reactive" solution, like function-key-map, or the
> > special handling of shifted keys (mapping them to unshifted variants if
> > not bound) would be much more robust than a method like the above
> > (the problem being that it essentially stores redundant state that can
> > get out of sync).
>
> Agreed. The only difficulty is in building the reverse mapping, and in
> making it apply to all forms of the key (with arbitrary modifiers), all
> this ideally without adding yet-more-ad-hoc-C-code in the
> read_key_sequence monster (or even removing some of it instead).
>
> Ideally, the same technique can be used to map mouse-4/5 to
> wheel-up/down (with or without arbitrary modifiers).

I've looked at read_key_sequence function, and it is Ж:-O indeed (given I don't
have much C experience). I could however notice that it doesn't contain
platform-specific code. How come NTEmacs works nicely, while Emacs on my
GNU/Linux system doesn't? Is NTEmacs a build of GNU Emacs or it is a different
beast?

Please forgive my low level of Emacs internal knowledge ;-)

Andrey