Re: read-buffer-completion-ignore-case

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: read-buffer-completion-ignore-case
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 16:27:31 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>> No, I mean, make your code generic, and only pay attention to
>> `completion-ignore-case', as it will have the correct value in the
>> various different circumstances.
>
> Not in what I have in mind.
>
>> > For what I have in mind that test wouldn't be sufficient. I really
>> > want to know whether buffer-name completion is happening.
>>
>> Why?  Maybe the fact that you want to know indicates the completion
>> interface is missing something...
>
> No, nevermind, but thanks.

Drew, it seems like _every time_ somebody asks you for more information
about what you're doing in hopes of trying to understand the general
problem better, you demure, saying "never mind what I'm doing, I just
_need_ functionality X."

Of course it requires some effort on your part to describe things, and
there's some risk that the response will be "no, no, you're approaching
the problem all wrong" but it's very hard for Emacs to develop good
general features without information on what is actually needed...

-Miles

--
The automobile has not merely taken over the street, it has dissolved the
living tissue of the city.  Its appetite for space is absolutely insatiable;