Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 10:27:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 23:26:54 +0200
From: grischka <address@hidden>
CC:  address@hidden

Emacs still supports older Windows versions where the shell is
command.com [...]
Actually no, for more than one reason.  One being that GNU
make expands it's full path with forward slashes into $(MAKE)
which would do just nothing at all under command.com.

I didn't say we support _building_ Emacs on those platforms.  But we
do support _running_ Emacs there.  If you know of any problems that
would preclude that, please report them.

Since it didn't build I really can't tell whether it runs.

(Btw, for the specific problem of Make, its Windows port will never
use command.com as a shell.

Sure it does.  Hence the problem with slashes, as above.

Either you have a Unixy shell on your
Path or you need to have cmd.exe.  So for building on such a system,
the only way it can possibly work is if one has a sh.exe somewhere.)