RE: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 22:36:39 +0200

Answers below...

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:22:19 -0400
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
>
> > "for %i in ( * ) do install-info \"%i\" dir")
> [...]
> > "for i in * ; do p=`dirname \"$i\"`;install-info $i $p/dir\"; done"
>
> Regarding these rules, I have a different question: how likely/common is
> it for people to find *.info file and to use install-info on them?

Well just to give some examples, I have downloaded the info file of Bash and that of Texinfo on my machine and I have installed them with install-info by hand. I also installed all the manuals that were coming with the MinGW tool-chain with install-info. I am also writing myself 3 manuals for emacs extension packages (one is for emacs-template which is still under discussion with Christoph Wedler, and the two other are for extension packages I am developping myself), and I had also to install them with install-info.

I recognize that it is not that often, but it happens...

> Then the next question is: what is the shape of the most common way to
> use install-info on such files?

There are a number of options to call install-info, like for any other commands. But this is also true for any of the commands that are invoked by means of the dired-x default shell guess. I think that the shape

    install-info file.info dir

is the most common... but you should cross check this with Karl Berry...

  Vincent.

> Stefan

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !