RE: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 20:58:08 +0200

> That was my impression as well. So why is the suggested command using
> the weird `for' loop

The for is there mainly to extract the directory path, so that if you launch the guessed command on some foo.info file, foo.info is installed in the dir file that is in the same directory where foo.info is.

The for will also make it work in case of marking several files, but in my opinion this is not useful. The point is that in MSDOS I don't think that it is possible to get the directory name otherwise than with a for.

This `for' would be useless if there was some other mean to get the directory name (like Emacs setting some environment variable with the directory name before launching the command...)

> (which will make it apply to all kinds of other
> unrelated files).

Well the user is supposed to mark only the info files to be installed. But as I wrote, the intention of for was not iterating, and probably I should not have proposed a for in the bash case.

  Vincent.

> Stefan

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !