Re: obby

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: obby
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:19:15 -0400

> By the way, this is a textbook case for why we would want to support
> dynamic linking. The reference implementation of the Infinote protocol,
> libinfinote, is released under the LGPL, so it would save a great deal
> of effort to be able to use that rather than creating a new,
> independent, under-manned implementation from scratch. It's especially
> hard to get motivated to sink that much effort into an alternate
> implementation when you know it would be much easier and more robust to
> link to an existing Free one.

Short of dynamic-linking there are 2 options:
- link at compile-time, as we do for png, svg, ...
- write a wrapper to turn the C API into a little executable that speaks
  "the same API" over its stdin/stdout, so you can use it via
  start-process.

        Stefan "who hopes we will find some way to allow dynamic loading
                of libraries at some point, maybe with a similar
                approach as what is being designed for javascript"