Re: Strange hang maybe due to IP changes

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Strange hang maybe due to IP changes
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:33:46 +0200

I've been meaning to write a more thourough reply to this, but since I
never do here goes:

- there is a bug in the bugtracker for this, entered by Marcus Triska,
  and also a patch which helps to some extent.

- I get afflicted by this fearsome bug rather frequently because I
  switch IP-adresses on my laptop frequently. I havent been able to fix
  it, but I have a workaround:

  - when you get the horrbile hang, you probably have changed ip
    adresses, and you also probably have a dangling connection to some
    server. Verify this with lsof. take note which interfaces are
    dangling. for me its usualy a gnus connection to gmane.

    - lsof|grep emacs, notice:
emacs      3422    joakim   38u     IPv4     141972       0t0        TCP
10.0.75.184:60871->80.91.229.13:nntp (ESTABLISHED)

  - now, ifconfig local interfaces for the connection:

80.91.229.13 is ger.gmane.org, so its a gnus socket.
10.0.75.184 is no longer valind, eth0 dead!

then i created pseudo interfaces:
ifconfig eth0 80.91.229.13
ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.75.184

This seems to work every time so far, but you need of course adapt to
your own ip adresses.

/Joakim

--
Joakim Verona