Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: garyo
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

Deniz Dogan-3 wrote:

> 2009/5/13 garyo <address@hidden>:
>> I agree, this is very different behavior for such a core command!
>
> I strongly disagree. I think this new behavior is way more intuitive
> to new Emacs users

Good point, it's important to attract new users, but there are already so
many ways Emacs differs from any other editor that I'm not sure it's worth
breaking existing keyboard macros that have worked for years, not to mention
forcing all the existing users to discover and change this setting.  It
really is a very core behavior, and it seems pretty late in the evolution of
Emacs to change something like this.  How about something like what C-x n n
does?  The first time you C-n down and end up on the same line, it could ask
you if you want the "notepad" behavior or the "traditional" behavior?  Then
you could enable (permanently or not) or disable.  Sure it would be a little
odd, but we're already in uncharted territory it seems to me.