Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:20:44 -0700

On May 14, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Shaun Johnson wrote:

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
Please make line-move-visual nil, it is totally uninutive to have the
point move to the same line, when you explicitly told it to move to
the next line.

FWIW I completely agree, I find this behaviour bizarre in the extreme.
I appreciate that others, coming from a different background, may find
this behaviour intuitive but I don't see that as a reason to change such
a core behaviour.

For people seeking to understand the reasons behind this default choice at this late stage in the release process, it may be helpful to review the discussions here about the new word-wrap (soft wrapping) feature, where continued buffer lines comprise whole paragraphs in text rather than just the occasional over-long line in code. Also, consider the increased use of variable width fonts, which are standard for non-code text in modern operating environments.

On a more general note, I wonder why experienced users occasional resist change in the UI in general (as it breaks things) rather than avoiding to upgrade. Perhaps, providing bug fixes for previous branches (e.g., Emacs 22) for a few years after the release of a new full version would mitigate these issues.