Re: Rename `mini-' options

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Rename `mini-' options
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 05:09:29 +0200

You said:

> The minibuffer and the echo area share the same screen real
> estate. But it's not a window - "window" means something specific in Emacs.

What is the difference between the frame's minibuffer window, and the
screen real state used by the minibuffer? (Unless you're trying to
imply that the "screen real state" is not a window, because a window
is an Emacs object, which would be handwaving IMO).

> 1. I said that the _echo area_ is not an Emacs window.

> Do you dispute that point?

No. I dispute that you said 1. Because Davis said

 > The mini-window is the window that holds the minibuffer, but also
the echo area

and your answer was:

> Nice try ;-). But you're simply making that up.

As for the other points, the manual says:

   The variable `max-mini-window-height', which specifies the maximum
height for resizing minibuffer windows, also applies to the echo area
(which is really a special use of the minibuffer window.  *Note
Minibuffer Misc::.).

so, on one hand, it is not very difficult to find what is
max-mini-widow-height used for; and, on the other hand, changing it to
max-minibuffer-window-height would obscure the fact that the echo area
is also affected.

    Juanma