Re: Rename `mini-' options

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rename `mini-' options
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 00:10:11 -0400

>> the name of the window in question is "minibuffer window".
> Er, except that it's not.
> For better or worse, Emacs traditionally distinguishes "the minibuffer"
> from "the echo area", and resize-mini-windows applies to both.  So a
> name which captures this subtlety is arguably better than one which lies
> a bit for the sake of convenient document searching.

Actually, we very often refer to this window as "minibuffer window".
E.g. C-h f window-minibuffer-p RET says:

        Return non-nil if WINDOW is a minibuffer window.
        WINDOW defaults to the selected window.

So while this name might not be perfect, it's not that terrible and has
been in use for a while, so we may as well declare it official.

        Stefan