Re: [Adrian Robert] Status of cc-mode Objective-C patch?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [Adrian Robert] Status of cc-mode Objective-C patch?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 16:36:13 +0700

On May 16, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 07:28:27PM +0700, Adrian Robert wrote:

I'm still wondering if its syntax highlighting portion (colorize
portions of the selector in method calls) could be considered for the
future, e.g. 23.2.

Fontifying a use of a variable, as contrasted with its definition (for
fairly inclusive values of "variable") has never been an Emacs standard.
However, quite a few people over the years have asked for this sort of
thing in CC Mode.  Maybe the Right Thing would be to formulate exactly
what "variable" uses could be usefully fontified, and introduce a new
user option (?c-fontify-class-name-use-flag, or the like) to enable this fontification. I don't feel there would be all that many distince cases
to consider.

Ah, I see what you are saying here -- there's no fontifying of variable uses or function names in CC mode languages. Even though, in lisp, property names are highlighted (e.g., (foo :bar 1)), in XML modes attribute names, in Makefile, shell script, Tcl, and Perl, variable uses, it might be best to keep this under tighter control in C-like languages due to their different nature.

Would using the existing decoration level scheme be inappropriate?