RE: blink-cursor frame parameter

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: blink-cursor frame parameter
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:54:07 -0700

> > There doesn't seem to be a frame parameter that corresponds
> > to whether and how the cursor blinks.
>
> > Other modes, such as menu-bar-mode, tool-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode,
> > and fringe-mode all act via a frame parameter.
> > Why not blink-cursor-mode also?
>
> AFAIK, scroll-bar-mode and fringe-mode frame parameters are mostly
> historical errors (they should be either window parameters or
> buffer-local settings).
> menu-bar-mode and tool-bar-mode refer to frame-level entities, so it
> makes sense to configure them on a frame-by-frame basis.
>
> Since there can be several cursors per frame,
> `blink-cursor-mode' should be per-window or per-buffer.

Oh, right. I forget that using (usually) one buffer per frame is still uncommon.
;-)

> Not sure if setting it buffer-locally works, but it's not terribly
> important since AFAIK either users want it to blink everywhere
> or nowhere.

See my other mail about that, substituting class/set of buffers for class/set of
frames.

(I obviously don't care much about the blink cursor case. The important use
cases I have are for things like menu-bar and tool-bar, which one typically
doesn't want to suddenly appear in each of the tiny thumbnail frames just
because you turned on menu-bar-mode after it was off.)