Re: New emacs maintainer for cygwin

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: New emacs maintainer for cygwin
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:05:05 +0200

Ken Brown wrote:

followed by this workaround:

    To work around this, build Emacs like this:

      LDFLAGS='-Wl,--enable-auto-import -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base'
./configure
      make LD='$(CC)'
      make LD='$(CC)' install

    This produces an Emacs binary that is independent of rebasing.

    Note that you _must_ use LD='$(CC)' in the last two commands above, to
    prevent GCC from passing the "--image-base 0x20000000" option to the
    linker, which is what it does by default.  That option produces an
    Emacs binary with the base address 0x20000000, which will cause Emacs
    to hang after Cygwin DLLs are rebased.

That workaround was born when I started to build Emacs. I found that the
resulting build where more stable. Really it does not help in rebasing,
which regards only DLL and not EXE, but it helps to build ALL the EXE
(not only emacs.exe etc.) with those flags (-Wl,--enable...). To be
honest, it is some time that in my build I use only:

auto_import="-Wl,--enable-auto-import"
pseudo_reloc="-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc"

which should be recommended. Indeed, if I have well understood the
discussion on Cygwin lists, in a future release of binutils, the new
ld.exe should add automatically those flags in building exe file.

Obviosly, those flags should be applied via cigwin.h, but the patch I
found added them only for emacs.exe so I omitted to propose the patch.

Cheers,
   Angelo.

---
Don't know much about geography