Re: I can see invisible characters

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: I can see invisible characters
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 06:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

>>> I don't know about you, but I can't see it: it's not displayed.
>>
>> Attached is an image which shows what I get.
>
> I see the same thing: the char is not displayed.

I'm confused.  The first lines are

  1  Aachen;Aa·chen
 16  Aachener;Aa·che·ner
 36  Aachenerin;Aa·che·ne·rin
 61  Aachenern;Aa·che·nern
 83  Aacheners;Aa·che·ners
105  Aachens;Aa·chens
122  Aadorf;Aa·dorf
137  Aalbauer;Aal=bau-er

My code calls `add-text-properties' with the following start and end
values:

   1  16
  16  36
 122 137

As you can see, the positions overlap.  If I don't do this, I get
empty lines.  However, I really don't understand the whole issue!  The
last character in the first line has position 14, thus the end-of-line
character has position 15 -- why do I need to use position 16 to make
the first line completely disappear?

Note that, according to the info of `C-x =', I can't access position
138, the first visible character after applying my code.  This *can't*
be right IMHO.

    Werner