Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 01:58:51 +0200

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I also think this is very bad design. Just imagine in vi, change hjkl to
>> something different.
>
> During the course of Emacs development, the behavior of C-n and C-p have
> already evolved significantly, even before the line-move-visual change.
> For instance, they vscroll images and tall lines.
>
> The pros and cons of display line motion have been debated extensively,
> and I see no new points on either side of the debate.  But since several
> people dislike the new behavior, I think it would be good to add an
> Options menu entry to disable it easily.

Since line-move-visual has been added partly for compatibility with
editing in other environments (like for example in Firefox where I am
writing this) and since in those environments this behaviour is bound
to up/down arrows I think the options for customizing this should
reflect that by distinguishing between C-n/C-p and up/down arrow keys.