Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:26:19 +0900

David Reitter writes:

 > You didn't give any reason to support your view.

Isn't that more contentious that you really mean?  It's hard to
express reasons for this kind of thing, and in any case, a change of
defaults should shoulder the burden of explanation.  It's better to be
conservative with respect to defaults.

 > I believe line-move-visual should be t because in this mode of
 > operation, cursor movement commands correspond most closely to the
 > visual representation of the buffer.

Are we not human?  Can we not understand more abstractions than the
two-dimensional image in front of our eyes?  Maybe we should get rid
of all cursor movement commands in favor of visually-oriented search?

So unfortunately that explanation is so weak that it arrived in a
heart-lung machine.  Emacs has *many* modes, and they *interact*.  A
proper explanation would detail *for each and every* mode of Emacs why
the default ought to be changed.

For example in Python, assembler, picture, and FORTRAN modes, where
columns are significant, that should be defaulted to nil.  In most
programmers' environments, long lines are relatively rare due to style
guidelines, and indentation is on the contrary universal and
significant.  I would argue that in that general class of cases,
cursor motion should be logical, not visual, by default.