RE: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:51:23 -0700

> > What is wrong with the proposal that the default be different,
> > depending on the type of buffer? That seems quite sensible.
>
> "Two" things:
> 1 - it's far from clear which modes should use which default.

Whoa! If that's far from clear, then it's even farther from clear that _all_
modes should always have non-nil as the default. Talk about sophistry!

> 2 - there is very little evidence that someone might want different
>     behavior in different buffers.

Evidence: I'm someone who might want different behavior in different buffers.

There is even less evidence that _everyone_ wants non-nil in _all_ buffers.

This is about choosing reasonable _default_ behavior.

> 3 - Drew would come back screaming if (setq line-move-visual nil) only
>     fixes that new brain-dead behavior in some modes but not all.

It's irrelevant whether Drew comes back screaming. Forget the ad hominem appeals
to the gallery and get back to reasoned argument.