Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 03:28:00 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Why file-attributes returns 544 for the file uid on the old directory?
>> I still have it around, in case you want some info about it.
>>

> What user does 544 correspond to? dired should tell you.

The working `server' directory:

  -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrator None 84 05-26 03:11 server

The problematic `server' directory:

  drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators None    0 05-26 01:49 server

So the problem is that the faulty .emacs.d/server directory was not
owned by Administrator (the current user) but by Administrators (a group
of users).

Now checked again: exit emacs and deleted .emacs.d. Then started emacs
and .emacs.d/server was created succesfully as owned by Administrator
(.emacs.d is owned by Administrator too).

So the problem was that at some point .emacs.d/server was created as
owned by Administrators. The directory is almost 3 years old, so maybe
the problem was the bug Eli mentioned as fixed time ago.

On a previous message I mentioned that server-start complained about the
inexistence of .emacs.d/server. This was my fault. The `server'
directory is created by server-ensure-safe-dir and the call to it was
commented out for avoiding the error it throwed when the user-uid and
the file uid didn't match.

Thanks for your help and patience.

--
Óscar