Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:24:00 +0200

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2009/5/26 Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
>> Ok, so what I wanted to propose instead some special handling of
>> line-move-visual in keyboard macros is the addition of two hook
>> `before-kbd-macro-hook' and `after-kbd-macro-hook' which are run before
>> and after the definition and execution of keyboard macros.  Then users
>> can decide the value of line-move-visual and others depending on the
>> current buffer's mode or the lunar phase in macros, no matter the
>> default or user-specified value.
>
> I completely support this and in my opinion it's not too late to add
> these hooks.

I am not sure this is a good idea.

I believe it might be better to investigate more how certain features
(like visual-line-move) should be handled under different
circumstances. Such circumstances is (as is pointed out here) macros,
but there are others two, like printing. And what about using the
affected functions in functions that might do the editing in another
window than the selected window?

Even though I think like this I like visual-line-mode and think it
should be on by default. But thinking over the questions above and
documenting the behaviour is necessary in my opinion.