Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:17:44 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Please give examples of modes where the choice is clear one way or the
> other (sufficiently so that it should override the user's default
> choice).  We can then consider them.  I still haven't seen any argument
> for any particular mode, so I think it is fair to say that it is unclear
> which modes should use which default.  I've seen mention that text-mode
> should use a value of t, but haven't understood why that would be
> a better choice there than elsewhere.

I think it's problematic in buffers that are supposed to be analyzed
mechanically by external programs.

A couple of weeks ago there was a scenario where I could easily have
been bitten by the bug: I was working on some code which reports error
locations as a file position + an offset in lines. When debugging that
code, I first went to the file position in the source file, and then
used `C-u NN C-n' to see if everything's working out correctly.

When the buffer happened to contain wrapped lines, I'd have got to the
wrong line, making me think that the error reporting code was at
fault. It would probably have taken a while before I'd have found out
what's actually faulty.

  -T.