Re: C-h, F1, Backspace, and splash screen

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-h, F1, Backspace, and splash screen
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:01:15 -0400

>>> packages up to date.  One annoyance that I've encountered, which may not be
>>> cygwin specific, is that C-h is not available as the help key when emacs is
>>> run in a text terminal.  I've looked at the documentation for
>>
>> Nowadays under X11, this is considered as a bug in the
>> terminal's configuration (i.e. most/all terminals don't use C-h for the
>> backspace key any more).  Can't you fix the text terminal?

> I think I wasn't specific enough in asking my question, though your answer
> might be the same.  The problem doesn't occur under X11.  It occurs in
> various terminals running outside of X (rxvt, mintty,...). It's true that
> the terminals can be configured so that backspace doesn't send C-h, but I'm
> trying to set things up to work nicely with the default cygwin
> configuration, in which backspace sends C-h.

Indeed, the answer is the same: it is nowadays generally considered
a configuration error (or at least misfeature) for a terminal to use C-h
for backspace.

> I don't have any control over these defaults.

The first thing to do is to complain about those things: while you may
not be able to change them directly, you can at least influence those
who can.  Compatibility with xterm is usually a good argument.
`backspace' should send DEL and `delete' should send an escape sequence
(IIRC it should be ESC [ 3 ~).

        Stefan