Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:17:17 +0200

2009/5/31 Leo <address@hidden>:
> On 2009-05-31 17:26 +0100, Deniz Dogan wrote:
>> 2009/5/31 Leo <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> After briefly trying these two modes, I haven't found any significant
>>
>>> difference between them. It looks like longlines has all the features
>>> for visual-line-mode. Is my impression correct? Thank you.
>>>

>> This is not the case, as I understand it.  For an example, fill a
>> buffer with a very long line in longlines-mode and resize the window.
>> Then turn it off and switch to visual-line-mode and resize the window.
>>  Notice the difference!  visual-line-mode turns on word-wrap (a
>> variable) which is what gives this differente behaviour.
>>
>> IIRC, longlines-mode is/was a hack which was introduced due to the
>> lack of something like word-wrap in earlier versions of Emacs.
>
> After (setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size 10), I haven't noticed
> any difference.
>
> Could you elaborate the different you were referring to? Thanks.
>
> Leo

I think Miles explained it pretty well...  longlines-mode does roughly
the same thing by actually modifying the buffer contents.  It's rare
to actually see this break anything, but I've experienced myself when
blogging from Emacs using, among other things, Muse.  longlines-mode
is simply the wrong thing to use now that we have real word-wrapping
with visual-line-mode and word-wrap.

--
Deniz Dogan