Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:08:30 -0400

>>> I'm planning to do this post 23.1.
>> How does visual-lines-mode mirror longlines-mode functionality w/re
>> softlines at fill-column?
>> From what I can gather from the docs visual-line-mode and word-wrap are
>> wrapped at the fringe whereas longlines mode can _line wrap_  at an
>> arbitrary buffer or mode local fill column setting.
> Marking it obsolete does not mean its going to disappear.

Actually, it does say that we intend to remove it in some future version
of Emacs.

> You can still reply on it.

Only in the "short" term (e.g. it might not be in Emacs-24).

Of course, an obsolete mode could potentially be de-obsoleted if it
turns out that many people like some of its unique features which
can't or won't be added to the mode that was meant to replace it.
I don't think it's ever happened, tho.

        Stefan