RE: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:52:34 -0700

> Just goes to show that I misunderstood your notion of "formatted".
> I was thinking of buffers like pcl-cvs, VC, dired, buffer-list,
> ibuffer, ... Not info, not man, not Java, not C (not sure about
> grep, I like to set it in grep, but I'm not sure if it's a good
> idea in general).

I mentioned Info and Buffer List from the beginning. And I mentioned code
buffers and buffers with tabular formatting as well.

The distinction I made is between buffers that are mostly free-form text, where
newlines are typically not intentionally positioned by the user or by Emacs, and
the other buffers, where they are.

Even for Buffer List, Dired, and the rest you mentioned, do you really "think
they should at least set `truncate-lines'? Is that slated for Emacs 23.2?

> > Is this a diversion to some other topic? What's the relation to the
> > topic at hand, which is `line-move-visual'?
>
> When truncate-lines is non-nil, visual lines and logical
> lines coincide, so line-move-visual doesn't make much
> difference any more (other than for proportional text, that is).

True, when the line is not wrapped in any way, there is no line-wrapping. Guess
that's one way to skirt the issue. ;-) The relation to this issue is that with
`truncate-lines' the issue is evacuated and the distinction no longer matters?

"We're trying to decide whether to order fish or meat for the group."
"Just don't eat, then it doesn't matter."

> > I proposed making the variable always buffer-local.
>
> There would be no benefit to it:
>   (set (make-local-variable <foo>) <bar>)
> is the standard way for major modes to set variables.

I have no problem with _how_ the buffer-local value is set, as long as the
default value set for buffers that are not mostly free-form text is nil.

And I have no problem with it not being buffer-local at all, if the default
value is nil.