Re: Readings for an emacs package maintainer ?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Readings for an emacs package maintainer ?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:36:05 +0900

>  > I hope 19.29 is just an arbitrarily-chosen example -- 19.29 was released
>  > 14 years ago!  Unless you really have users using older versions, there
>  > seems little reason to go to great lengths to support them.
>
> A recent (October 2008) survey of a famous 4-letter financial firm
> showed that about 5% of the >200 developers who responded were using
> Emacs 19 variants (including Lucid Emacs 19.6 and Emacs 19.8 IIRC),
> and there were more than 1% using Emacs 18.
>
> I think it's quite possible that he has such users.

Sure, and if he really does, oh well.

But I think versions < 19.29 are sufficiently ancient that it's ok to
recommend that maintainers not worry about them unless they have a
concrete reason to (for instance a complaint/bug-report/request from a
user running the older version).

Of course, individual circumstance may dictate otherwise, e.g. a package
that caters to older versions (or a site maintainer at a company like
the above...).

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?