Re: Documentation of transient-mark-mode is sloppy, wrong, and confused.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Documentation of transient-mark-mode is sloppy, wrong, and confused.
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 20:50:33 +0900

Andreas Roehler writes:

 > AFAIU definitions (including zmacs-regions) are here intermixed. At
 > least one may be dropped.

I don't think so.  zmacs-regions is a variable that controls a
feature.  Some people dislike that feature, so it is a user option.
The other two are functions that retrieve internal state.  None of the
three can be defined in terms of the others without changing the
semantics radically.

 > For me GNU variable `mark-active' is more straightforward by its value,
 > but should be named `mark-set' rather.

What do you need it to do that plain `mark' doesn't already do?

Note that since all of these APIs are of long standing in XEmacs at
least, I'm pretty sure they're not going to change in XEmacs, despite
the sheer perversity of the current semantics of `region-exists-p',
`region-active-p', and `mark'.  But it would be reasonable to add new
ones if there are things that can't be easily done with the current
ones, or if it would make code clearer.