Re: emacs in "screen".

From: Jonathan Rockway
Subject: Re: emacs in "screen".
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 14:59:05 -0500

I'm not sure if you got a reply to this on emacs-help (as I don't read
that list), but I thought I'd share my experience anyway.

* On Fri, May 29 2009, A. Soare wrote:
> I started emacs in screen that was running in tty1. DISPLAY was set,
> and emacs connected to X-server.
>
> I restarted emacs [ed: X?] using C-M-Backspace. Emacs continued to run
> in tty1, but it lost the connection to X-server, and stopped.
>
> Is there a possibility to restart X-server and afterwards to continue
> the same emacs session? Emacs should reconnect to the X-server in case
> that is sees that X-connection died.

Did you try make-frame-on-display?  Did it work?  Do you want emacs to
automatically try making a frame on a display if the display dies?

FWIW, I start emacs --daemon with daemontools when I log in, and then
get my X frame via "emacsclient -c".  Even after restarting X, I can
still get my same session back. The key is to either start emacs with
"emacs --daemon", or to start a "-nw" session in your screen session.
Then do a M-x server-start and connect to that emacs with emacsclient.

Also, you don't really need screen for this.  You can start an "emacs
--daemon" and then connect to that emacs session from the console with
"emacsclient -t".  emacs can do its own session management now, which
will even save you in the rare event that screen crashes.

(All this is contingent on having emacs23, of course.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway