RE: Oop customization group

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: Oop customization group
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:14:28 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > Group inheritance can be multiple. This is essentially a tagging
 > mechanism (in the sense of del.icio.us tags, not Emacs tags),

No, it's not, not until the UI reflects that.  The issue with
Customize as it stands is that it's organized according to the
developers' tastes, and groups are strongly module-oriented, although
users often see commonalities not reflected in the implementation's
structure.

If we're going to go in the direction of d.i.u-style tagging, what I
think is needed is some way to communicate users' idea (ie, some sort
of consensus which may still be somewhat ambiguous or confused, not
coherent, well-thought-out individual systems) to the distribution.