Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:40:00 -0400

On Jun 8, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Chad Brown wrote:
I am curious: is there a way to do a similar thing under non-X systems like macosx or win32?

The Nextstep port (for OS X) had a way to emulate X resources, which has since been removed because it didn't actually add enough useful functionality to merit the overhead. The right way to set a default font is IMHO to customize the `default' face in one way or the other.

You can also give a command line argument when actually running a terminal:

Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -fn Lucida\ Grande

However, this is of limited practical use because in normal use (at least in OS X - not sure about Nextstep in GNU/Linux environments) you wouldn't start the executable that way (even from a terminal).

I've never seen the kind of issues in NS (or Carbon, for that matter) that the OP encountered in the screenshot.