Re: Is (provide 'foo) at the start good or bad?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Is (provide 'foo) at the start good or bad?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:36:09 +0000

Hi, Stephen,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 01:09:43PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Leo writes:

>  > > one less char).  So what is the benefit of providing it at the
>  > > very start?

>  > I have run into this problem before. I prefer putting provide at the
>  > end of the file.

> Putting the provide form at the beginning allows mutually recursive
> requires to succeed.  I also prefer it as a matter of style, sort of
> serving as a `declare-package'.

Putting `provide' at the end of the file means you've actually loaded
the file when the provision is done.  Thus if the load crashes (very
common when you're developing), you don't have a spurious provided
symbol.

Like in lots of things, there's no one Right Way to do it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).