Re: authinfo gnutls netrc.el auth-sources & smtpmail-starttls-credential

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: authinfo gnutls netrc.el auth-sources & smtpmail-starttls-credentials
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:25:17 -0500

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:44:37 -0400 MON KEY <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> Not everyone has an hour to point out what _you've_ missed.
MK> I made time.

I appreciate your suggestions very much.  I am just asking you to
present them in a way that I can understand more readily.  From looking
at the stream of Emacs bug reports for a while, most people can submit
verbal explanations just fine, using code to support but not replace
them.  For reference, here's what M-x report-emacs-bug suggests:

"Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:"

The key word is "describe."  You did not describe, you posted a few
pages of code.

MK> I am sorry if the previous message was too much for you or your
MK> schedule. Maybe someone else will catch it.

Sure, let's hope whoever does will write a patch or explain it better.

Meanwhile, assuming there's no "someone else" standing by, let's try to
figure out the problem.

MK> I did my best to couch the error in a not too obvious way so as not
MK> to needlessly over expose it.

All right.  Please use e-mail next time, so you can be clear in what
you're reporting.  It would have saved time, and is the standard way to
report security issues.

MK> I believe the `auth-sources.el' portion of the current 'auth system'
MK> should undergo a bit more public scrutiny.

I've posted many notes to emacs-devel inviting scrutiny and
suggestions for auth-source.el.  In any case, please do review and
comment on it.  Just do it in

MK> I have made specific suggestions. Moreover, I even went so far as to
MK> put the cleanup in there to make it easier for people to evaluate the
MK> code and recover to a normal state.

MK> Don't waste any valuable time trying to 'parse' that code - just evaluate
it.

MK> The code shouldn't cause any problems, it uses `auth-sources.el' so
MK> there isn't any undo risk - even for those in "Getting Things Done"
MK> mode.

Your cleanup sets auth-sources to nil.  That would screw up my setup, at
least.  It's definitely not OK to just evaluate it; there were many
other issues I don't have time to list and which are not really
relevant.  I would have at least wrapped everything in a let scope,
FWIW.

MK> I _am_ pointing out that the `gnus-message' logging facilty used in
MK> conjunction with `auth-source-user-or-password' gives the user the
MK> impression that by setting `gnus-verbose' to a lower threshold the
MK> logging won't occur.When use of auth-source.el is separated from Gnus
MK> that facility is irrelevant to non Gnus users; whether they set
MK> `gnus-verbose' to 1 or 10 is a moot point.

Thank you for explaining.  I've attached a patch to use only the
`message' function for logging messages, and logging is off by default.
The patch is against Emacs CVS.  Let me know what you think.

MK> Is it reasonable for an hypothetical 'average Emacs user' to expect to
MK> reliably debug/troubleshoot and configure an auth-source initiated
MK> transaction config using the current 'auth regime' and expect a safe,
MK> transparent, self cleaning, logging facility to aid in the process?

Sure.  Now, what are you suggesting should be changed or improved?

MK> While some (not all) of these expectations can be currently be met it
MK> does not come without presenting a situation whereby some users may
MK> find that they are blindly pinging a machine/host/server (which is
MK> it?) with:

MK> - dog knows WHO on the other end;
MK> - receiving dog knows WHAT;
MK> - as it gets getting routed through dog knows WHERE;
MK> (per netrc.el snarfage)

Can you give a specific example illustrating these problems, so I can
fix their root causes?

Thanks
Ted