Re: bootstrap error in c-mode with CANNOT_DUMP

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bootstrap error in c-mode with CANNOT_DUMP
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:37:46 -0400

> I'm doing some experimenting with some changes that require linking in a new
> library and calling some code early in the Emacs process.  Since  the
> library isn't currently unexec-friendly, I'm trying some builds  without
> using unexec.  I find that I can't do a bootstrap.

This is a known problem since it plagued the GNUStep port as well (when
it couldn't dump).  Right now the use of CANNOT_DUMP leads to all kinds
of problems (IIRC even things like ~/.emacs don't get processed
correctly).  But it's not very high on the todo-list, so if you can find
a fix for it, it would probably be welcome, but otherwise don't hold
your breath.  A better path might be to try and find a way to do the
unexec.

        Stefan