Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release

From: Rudi Schlatte
Subject: Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:02:55 +0200

Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> writes:

> I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
> maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
> release:
>
>     http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437
>
> The bug report even has a patch attached.
>
> The bug is about kill-visual-line command behaving unexpectedly when
> executed at the end of a logical line. I think everybody would expect it
> to delete only the newline, like kill-line does, but kill-visual-line
> deletes not only the newline character but also the next line up to the
> cursor position. See the bug report for a concrete example.

Aaah, so that's the reason for some of the half-sentences I produced
recently!  Seems I'm so sure about the behavior of C-k that I just
remove the newline and jump elsewhere, without realizing that too much
is deleted.

In other words, this has caused me data loss (text loss) and will now
slow down my typing speed until a fix is in.