Re: browse-url/w32-shell-execute problems on cygwin

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: browse-url/w32-shell-execute problems on cygwin
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:46:48 -0400

On 6/17/2009 6:23 PM, David Robinow wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jason Rumney<address@hidden> wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
 (browse-url-file-url "/home/kbrown/html/index.html")

yields "file:/home/kbrown/html/index.html", but (on my system) it would
need to be "file://d:/cygwin-1.7/home/kbrown/html/index.html" for the
windows browser to be able to handle it.
That is a general problem with cygwin interacting with non-cygwin programs.
Cygwin invents its own virtual filesystem that is not understood outside of
cygwin. See the problems the native build of Emacs faces with Cygwin make. I
don't see how bypassing browse-url fixes this for you, as the path will
still be one that Windows does not recognize.

This is a somewhat different problem since in this case Emacs is a
cygwin program.
  cygpath -m  /home/kbrown/html/index.html
will return a suitable windows name
(c:/cygwin17/kbrown/html/index.html  on my system)

It should be relatively simple to incorporate that transformation
directly into a cygwin-specific function. I did something similar for
cygwin make some years ago to get it to build windows emacs.
I'll see if I can find the code. It's been a while.

Thanks for the offer, David, but don't go to any trouble. I know that I could use cygpath to fix browse-url-file-url, but that would require special-casing cygwin in browse-url-file-url. The simpler solution using cygstart that I proposed instead does the special-casing in browse-url-of-file. But I don't know if the emacs developers would accept a patch with that sort of special-casing in either place. If so, I'll do it however they want.

Ken