RE: how to tell what's in the fringe? (lazy fringe)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how to tell what's in the fringe? (lazy fringe)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:24:00 -0700

> > So my thought was to code up some lazy fringe: a fringe
> > that would not show, except when there is some non-blank
> > glyph in it. But I don't know how to test
> > whether that condition is satisfied (e.g. in Lisp).
> >
> > Is that even logical? Perhaps if a fringe is not shown then its
> > content is empty or undefined? I was thinking in terms of it having
> > content that is simply not shown, but maybe that's incorrect.
>
> Many of the fringe indicators are very dynamic, and only known in
> relation to a particular redisplay.  Morever, the presence of
> the fringe can change the physical dimensions of the area
> available for redisplay.
>
> If there's a particular less-dynamic indicator you're interested in,
> then perhaps it reflects a condition that can be tested for
> more easily in lisp code.

OK, thanks for the info. I probably won't bother with this, after all.

It occurred to me that it might be useful to have the fringe appear when it
contains something, but I think I'll continue to do without fringe. The idea was
to avoid wasting space if the fringe areas are completely empty (which they seem
to be much of the time). Simple idea, but perhaps not so simple to realize (?).

So far, the only real lack (from foregoing fringe) I'm aware of is the one
reported in bug #3550, but if additional UI feedback becomes available _only_ in
the fringe, then  perhaps I'll need to reconsider. That would be a shame, IMO,
but I'm probably a minority of one in not being a fan of fringe.