Could bgex patch or similar be added?

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Could bgex patch or similar be added?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:21:59 -0600

I use emacs from CVS for the sole reason of applying the background pixmap patch found at
http://umiushi.org/~wac/bgex/
I was wondering if there are any plans for something like this to be integrated into emacs. Miles Bader's transparent emacs branch may have done this, but I could never find it, so I assume it died. For me there are two key features.

First is that that different backgrounds can be assigned to different modes and/or buffer names. This is very useful to me since I can instantly see that I am editing my .emacs file and not some other elisp file, and certainly not a C++ file. Perhaps this can be done today in vanilla emacs, but I haven't tried too hard. I would be interested in snippets if anyone has some hanging around.

Second is that using a (very muted) picture as a background seems easier on my eyes than either solid colors or true transparency (though transparency is definitely cool and I use it in Carbon Emacs since the patch doesn't work on NS/Carbon).

Unfortunately, I don't speak any Japanese, so I can't help there but, time permitting, I might be able to get it to work on NS (though I don't really know anything about the emacs internals so it would take me quite a bit of time).

-Ivan