Re: Recent recentf slowdown?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Recent recentf slowdown?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:11:11 +0200

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:44:12 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> According to the ChangeLog there hasn't been anything change to recentf
>> for a long time.  Perhaps the pause is due to the tramp update, though I
>> was not using tramp to visit the file being cleaned up when Emacs
>> paused.  Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have an idea
>> what the cause could be?
>
> I'm not aware of a Tramp change which could explain this behaviour. You
> might add (setq tramp-verbose 8) in your .emacs, in case of Tramp
> activities we can check them in Tramp's debug buffer, including timestamps.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I added it before starting Emacs today.
Tramp is apparently not involved, since no Tramp debug buffer or any
other Tramp buffer came up and there's no mention of Tramp in
*Messages*.  But at startup there was again a pause when the echo area
displayed the message "Cleaning up the recentf list...".  This time it
lasted about 30 seconds, then startup completed and Emacs appears to be
running normally.  However, the complete recentf message is "Cleaning up
the recentf list...done (0 removed)", so I assume 30 seconds is too long
and indicative of a problem.  With this emacs process running I started
another Emacs with my initializations, including the same recentf file,
and it came up without a pause.  Same thing with `emacs -Q --eval
"(recentf-mode 1)"'.

Steve Berman