Re: Switching CEDET from CVS to a Distributed VCS.

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Switching CEDET from CVS to a Distributed VCS.
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:45:41 -0400

On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:17 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

1. convert a git patch (git-format-patch) to a Bazaar merge directive?

This is software, anything's possible.

I looked into it and it's fairly easy to do. It would be for local use rather than for review by e-mail.

 Useful?  Probably not.  I
don't see why you'd want to do anything other than maintain pairs of
bzr-git bidi mirrored branches.

Seriously, if you're a git aficianado, set up the bidirectional
mirror, create a pushthrough script that pushes from the git repo to
the local bzr repo, and on from the local bzr repo to Emacs Central,
and (my best guess) be happy.

This would be the ideal case and very, very convenient. I hope there will be such a mirror [on savannah if possible], but I'm not sure how it would handle merge failures, assuming that this sync script runs periodically and without user intervention. The more frequently the git mirror is updated, the less likely it is that a git->bzr merge fails. If it does fail, I'm not sure how to handle it well. That's why I didn't pursue the idea so far.