Re: `i' in Info: get combo index tailored to input

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: `i' in Info: get combo index tailored to input
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:32:02 +0300

>> > Feature suggestion for `i' in Info - it could be bound to `C-u i':
>> >
>> > Display a list (with links) of all index entries that match
>> > the user's input, grouped by index.  This would, in effect,
>> > be a combined index specialized to the user's input.  It
>> > would combine the subsets of each index that match the user input.
>>
>> This is implemented by `Info-index-occur':
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-09/msg02065.html
>> Since the trunk is now opened for development, I'll prepare and submit
>> a patch soon.
>
> Oh, right - guess I forgot about it.
>
> How about binding it to `C-u i', as a variant of the normal index search?
> Assuming it gets added, that is... Thx.

In http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/79561 you suggested to bind
it to `I'.  I like your initial suggestion for the same reasons you described:

  1. It would be useful to have an Info command, say bound to `I', that would
  do for index lookup what `L' (Info-history) does for chronological
  navigation. You would type a regexp, and it would show you a buffer similar
  to the `Recently Visited Nodes' buffer of `L'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/