Re: bug#3688: Also need (auto-fill-mode nil) to trigger this bug

From: Kees Bakker
Subject: Re: bug#3688: Also need (auto-fill-mode nil) to trigger this bug
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:01:55 +0200

On Friday 26 June 2009, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Kees!

Hi Alan,

> The mechanism for the bug is thus: when doing filling, c-mask-paragraph
> temporarily replaces the whitespace before "*/" with a string of "x"s, so
> that Emacs's low level filling routine can't put "*/" on a line of its
> own.  At the end of the routine, the calculation to restore point does a
> spurious correction to correct for an imagined difference between the
> size of the WS (24 columns) and the number of bytes (3 tab characters).
>
> Removing this "uncorrection" fixes things.  Please test out the patch
> below.

Yes, the patch fixes it. Thanks for looking into this, and having it solved
so quickly.

BTW. I never intended to enable auto-fill. But strangly enough the following
will _toggle_ auto-fill-mode. (I know, this function is "Toggle Auto Fill mode".
Besides a clear description to turn it on, it should also have a clear
description to turn it off.)

  (auto-fill-mode nil)
--
Kees