gtk toolbar bug (was Re: What is the proper way to set the default font

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: gtk toolbar bug (was Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:44:49 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Having talked to some people on the XMonad mailing list, it seems that
>> it is probably Emacs that has the bug in this case.
>
> What's the reasoning behind this conclusion?
>
> It sounds like you have two separate issues: (i) font setting in X
> resources not being recognized, and (ii) incorrect window sizing.  It's
> plausible that (ii) is an Emacs bug, since interaction with window
> managers is a tricky issue; one thing you can try is to compile Emacs
> without GTK support, and see if that makes a difference.

For (ii), GTK does make a difference.  I built using
--with-x-toolkit=lucid, and "emacs -Q" shows no problem (I can see a
toolbar and the minibuffer).  With gtk, I see the toolbar, but the frame
is obviously too tall and I don't see the minibuffer.

It is as though the frame is being displayed correctly without the
toolbar, and then the toolbar is just added moving the rest down,
without the proper interaction with the window manager to readjust the
size.

[...]