Re: Bzr switch

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Bzr switch
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:37:53 +0900

Karl Fogel writes:
 > Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
 > > In the Bzr world, there's always something new coming up providing this
 > > and that performance improvement.  So there's no point waiting for the
 > > next one, cause when the time is passed, you'll end up wanting to wait
 > > for the next next one, etc... ad nauseam.
 >
 > I understand what you mean, but This Time Is Different (or so I am told,
 > in no uncertain terms, by every Bazaar developer I talk to).

Who are you talking to?  The list traffic tells a very different
story.  Mark Shuttleworth (Da Beeg Boos) wrote "Thou Shalt Have But
One Bazaar 2 Format", and got *lots* of pushback.  AFAIK he gave up;
the Bazaar devs surely act like that pronunciamento is "inoperative".
Robert Collins is *not* on board on "2a", specifically, looms are not
included in 2a, which means at least two variants of 2a will be out
there in the wild for a while.  (Silver lining: looms are usable as a
local improvement, you don't actually need them on the server for many
common workflows.)  Aaron Bentley is *not* on board on "2a",
specifically nested trees have not landed, but they will.  (Emacs
doesn't care, I think, but many projects want nested trees very badly.
It will land, not before 2.0, I suspect, but not too long thereafter.
This will mean a server upgrade, the formats are mutually incompatible
currently AIUI.)  Four variants.  And counting---don't kid yourself,
there will be more.

IMO (and that of the Python devs, see PEPs 374 and 385), Stefan is
right.  You need to settle on a version that's either Available Now or
Coming Soon To A GNU/Linux Distro Near You.  People who want to bleed
can always do that (to) themselves. :-)