Re: Bzr switch

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Bzr switch
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:14:32 +0900

Miles Bader writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 > >  > > In the Bzr world, there's always something new coming up providing
 > > this
 > >  > > and that performance improvement.  So there's no point waiting for the
 > >  > > next one, cause when the time is passed, you'll end up wanting to wait
 > >  > > for the next next one, etc... ad nauseam.
 > >  >
 > >  > I understand what you mean, but This Time Is Different (or so I am told,
 > >  > in no uncertain terms, by every Bazaar developer I talk to).
 > >
 > > Who are you talking to?  The list traffic tells a very different story.
 >
 > Karl's reply had such a cynical tone that I wasn't really sure whether he
 > was agreeing or disagreeing with Stefan!

Now that I reread it as I quoted him, I see your point!

Unfortunately, it really is hard to tell given that both Mark and the
users want format stability badly, and the developers *do* keep
promising that This Time Is Different (specifically, that from now on
they'll do a better job of keeping format changes out of the users'
faces, and that they're over the performance hump).  I think both of
those are actually true -- but neither promise is going to be kept
100%, and (on historical form) the bzr.devs are not going to be able
to resist the temptation to achieve performance improvements with
format tweaks.