Re: Virtual Info files and nodes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Virtual Info files and nodes
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:13:49 +0200

>>> Really only nil can be expected now,
>> Can it?  In which circumstance?
> `filename' can be nil when `Info-virtual-fun' is called with non-nil
> `nodename'

That part is obvious enough.

> to check for a node name when a file name is irrelevant -
> its argument value is nil in this case.

But again: is that ever the case?
I'd think a node name can only be meaningful when accompagnied by a filename.

> This is done in the next version below with other fixes including the
> handling of "dir":

Thanks, looks fairly good now.  I just worry a little bit about binding
inhibit-read-only around the call to (Info-virtual-call virtual-fun
filename nodename no-going-back) since that may involve a lot of code
that accesses other buffers.  Maybe (setq buffer-read-only nil) would be
a better choice here.

        Stefan