Re: Can ad-do-it be used in a function called from the defadvice code?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Can ad-do-it be used in a function called from the defadvice code?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:09:04 +0200

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Davis Herring<address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course not.  It's not a macro, since you don't call it like a function.
>  It can't be a variable, because that couldn't trigger evaluation of the
> advised function.  So it must be something magical that defadvice itself
> looks for.  It can't see into the functions you're calling -- not without
> a truly ridiculous amount of instrumentation and overhead -- so it can't
> make ad-do-it magic anywhere else.

Thanks Davis, but maybe you are right that it is hard to implement,
but on the other hand can't ad-do-it be left as a placeholder where
the correct function is called when needed. It does not seem to be
very much overhead to me since the let-binding structure is already
there and probably can be used with some mangling.

But anyway I beleive you are right about how it is implemented now (so
I wll copy some code instead...)