Re: CEDET calls cpp -E -dM -x c++ /dev/null

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: CEDET calls cpp -E -dM -x c++ /dev/null
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 23:34:25 -0400

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 06:24 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:25:32 +0200
> > From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > I see another problem in semantic-gcc-setup. It tries to guess the
> > include paths and does this
> >
> >   (let* ((try-paths (list "/usr/include" (concat prefix "/include")
> >                       (concat prefix "/include/c++/" ver)
> >                       (concat prefix "/include/c++/" ver "/" host )
> >                       )))
> >
> > Can't gcc or cpp give some better information about include paths that
> > semantic can use? Where is this information?
>
> I thought one of the -print-* options could show the place of the
> headers, but I cannot get them to do this.  This is the closest:
>
>     D:\usr\eli\data>cpp -print-file-name=libmingwex.a
>     D:/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../libmingwex.a
>
> I guess the place where the headers live should be customizable
> instead of being hardcoded.

Hi,

  The code that is looking up header directories that Lennart quoted is
attempting to find a reasonable default because the customization step
can be confusing.  There are many possible paths that need to be
identified and setup, so this code is just trying to remove one set of
customizations that might be needed.  A side effect is a desire to make
it "perfect" for all situations.  Making the list of dirs for this code
to test customizable is moot, since it is just as easy to customize the
system include path for headers instead.

  Getting better output from gcc, such as -print-file-name, would be
helpful.

Thanks
Eric